ENGAGEMENT STRATEGY BASED ON EMPOWERMENT
Engaging rural voters is essential to stem the tide of Electoral College gains made by Donald Trump. Getting rural voters engaged at all levels – from local party units, to running for office, to leadership in the DNC – is critical to the future success of the Democratic Party.
The DNC must:
- Organize in 3,143 counties across the country.
- Launch a nationwide organizing tour in rural counties that were won by Obama and lost by Clinton or won by local Democrats and lost by national Democrats.
- Ensure rural voices are provided an expanded role in day to day DNC decision-making.
- Build a database of rural elected officials who represent the Democratic Party and places where Democrats could win local seats.
- Develop a national Rural County Chairs Association to advise the DNC on policy, electoral opportunities and messaging.
- Set turnout goals to boost Democratic turnout in rural areas.
- Recruit Democrats to run for co-op boards.